I don’t really make it a secret that I’m not a fan of the idea of being relegated to the back pew on the basis of my gender.
I am a Christian Stay-at-Home-Mom (SAHM).
Most in the traditional church would naturally assume that because I have a TRADITIONAL ROLE
that it means my husband and I have a TRADITIONAL MARRIAGE.
Sorry to disappoint you.
We believe that there is NO HIERARCHY between male and female – whether at home or in the church.
In case you’re wondering who is the HEAD of our home, that would be JESUS.
That means that
- my husband and I are EQUALLY in charge of and responsible for our family.
- he and I are BOTH ORDAINED and CO-PASTOR at our church.
- we both LEAD AND SERVE each other, our family and our church on the basis of our GIFTING and not our GENDER.
My husband is a Christian Counselor. He can tell you story after story of abusive relationships and domestic violence in CHRISTIAN MARRIAGES – all stemming from this pervasive lie that women are to be submissive to men.
He can tell you that when a woman who is being verbally, emotionally, physically and sexually abused goes to her church pastor or other sisters in the church for help, they will tell her to go home and SUBMIT. (In other words, “suck it up.)
Guess what? That is an INJUSTICE and it makes me sick.
BOTH MEN AND WOMEN NEED THE GOOD NEWS ABOUT EQUALITY… NOW.
I am one who is passionate about sharing that Good News. The Good News that
- Jesus was a Feminist. He never once ‘put a woman in her place’ or sent her ‘back into the kitchen.’
- Jesus honored women WHERE THEY WERE. He never chastised a working woman for not staying at home with her kids.
- Jesus protected women. He told the religious leaders who were rebuking the woman to ‘leave her alone.’ (reference)
- Jesus encouraged women to learn with men. Mary versus Martha – need I say more? (reference)
- Paul was a Feminist. He honored all the women who contended AT HIS SIDE for the cause of the Gospel. (reference)
- In Christ: race, gender and class don’t matter. (reference)
I have no interest in rehashing the many facets of the debate or theological argument here when there are so many places that you can go to for that information. I’m here to CONNECT you to RESOURCES that will help transform your thinking.
So, without further ado…
Here are 10 FREE Articles for you to explore the idea of Biblical Equality:
- What is Biblical Equality?
- 10 Lies the Church Tells Women
- The Basics of Biblical Equality: Belief and Practice
- A Challenge for Proponents of Female Submission to Prove Their Case from the Bible
- What is Male Headship?
- The Worldwide Suffering of Women
- Domestic Abuse and the Church
- Parenting as Partners
- Spiritual Gifts in Mission and Evangelism
- Does God Have Gender?
As you can see, all of these articles are free to read on the Christians For Biblical Equality website. I encourage you to float around there and take a look.
May you find it all inspirational and enlightening.
What have you been taught to believe about gender and roles?